44 The federal government responded to the 2001 attacks on the WorldTradeCenter and the
(1) creating a cabinet-level agency for homeland security
(2) deporting most illegal aliens
(3) decreasing defense spending
(4) expanding the civil liberties of American citizens
32 Many farmers failed to share in the general prosperity of the 1920s mainly because they
(1) lacked new farm machinery to increase production
(2) did not have sufficient numbers of farm laborers
(3) had to pay high wages to their workers
(4) received low prices for crops due to overproduction
33 Congress opposed President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s plan to increase the number of
justices on the Supreme Court because the plan would have
(1) threatened the principle of checks and balances
(2) abolished judicial review
(3) violated the elastic clause of the Constitution
(4) given the federal government too much power over the states
48 A similarity between the Bank of the United States, created in 1791, and the present-day
Federal Reserve System is that both were established to
(1) set tariff rates
(2) regulate the money supply
(3) achieve balanced budgets
(4) restrict the gold supply
48 What was a direct result of the census of 2000?
(1) Personal income tax rates were changed.
(2) New United States District Courts were created.
(3) Seats in the House of Representatives were reapportioned.
(4) The number of United States Senators was
43 During the next 30 years, what will be the most likely impact of the baby boom that followed
World War II?
(1) More money will be spent on national defense.
(2) The cost of health care will decrease.
(3) Social Security will have to provide for increasing numbers of retired people.
(4) The elderly will be the smallest segment of