Extra credit opportunity
Six Basic Principles of the U.S. Constitution
•The people hold the ultimate authority (power)
•A representative democracy lets the people elect leaders to make decisions for them.
· Framers wanted to guard against tyranny
· Government is limited to the power given them in the Constitution.
· The Constitution tells how leaders who overstep their power can be removed
Government officials have to operate within the laws.
Separations of Powers
- Congress makes the laws
- The Presidents (executive branch) executes or carries out the law.
- Supreme Court (Judiciary) interprets the law.
- Extra Credit - Three Branches Rap - (You - Tube - Smart Songs)
Checks and Balances
System designed to prevent anyone branch from becoming too strong.
•Prevents the abuse of power in government
•Each branch can check each other branch
Supreme Court determines if a law or preceeding is/was constitutional